Old 21-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Dawn

Default why do my tomatoes lack flavor?

(Lee Hall) wrote in message om...

My first guess is too much watering. I usually cut back on watering
when a plant has tomatoes ripening since too much water seems to
dilute the taste.

I wasn't watering them until the daytime temps hit the 90s here and
they all fell over in the sun. We had a nice wet spring though, I
didn't have to put the hose on them until the end of June.

Do you have any blossom end rot? That could also point to too
much watering which interferes with calcium uptake.

No. I have perfect round red tomatoes. No sign of pests or any kind of
blight.

If you want to take a quantum leap in growing tastier tomatoes, try
starting heirlooms from seed. In the beefsteak line, Mortgage Lifter
and Mortgage Lifter Red are very large and productive.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be looking into different varieties
next year. We'll be expanding the garden plot a few feet every spring.

Dawn