Old 21-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Nedra

Default How Much Maintenance?

That would be entirely up to you, BV. I have
always fussed around with my pond. I don't add Baking
Soda until the fish slow down to a small crawl... then I test
the KH and son-of-a-gun! KH is very low ... add the Baking
Soda and its fixed. Takes all of 10 minutes from the test to
the addition of BS... I do the maintenance dosages of Koi
Clay ... the fish love - LOVE this stuff. I know it must make
them feel really good! Ever seen a Koi Smile? ;-)
This takes 5 minutes.
I don't have a bottom drain... Yet (!) so I do have to add the BZT. That
takes 5 minutes... Add it all together and you have about 30
minutes of 'work' .... only it isn't work for me because I interact
with the fish all the while.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
When I went at my pond design, I purposely included concepts like a bottom
drain and a shallow VF to reduce my maintenance. I have A LOT of plants,

and
do not intend to feed my fish, in the hopes that I can strike a balance of
plants and animals. So far, my first season, things are going well.

I often read in this group of people adding potash, salt, baking soda,
fertilizer tabs, etc. They test the water every 10 minutes, change water,

do
this, do that.

I realize this is not a pass/fail, yes/no answer but how much is really
necessary? I think if my pond ever gets to the point where I must spend

time
every day maintaining it, and not just sitting by it...I may fill it in.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond