Old 21-07-2003, 09:04 PM
simy1

Default Horse apples?

"Gloria" wrote in message ...
Anybody know what a "horse apple" is, or if it is available commercially?
There was a "horse apple" tree in the backyard of a house I lived in many
years ago. The apples were huge, green in color, and VERY sour tasting,
but they made the best pies! The lady that I bought the house from told me
she got the tree out in the country at her grandmother's old home place. She
said they grow wild in pastures, usually near the fence. I'd love to have
one of these trees. TIA for any info.

Are you sure you are not looking for one of many varieties of (hard)
cider apples?
There are a dozen tart cider varieties that would fit the bill (mostly
used for cider, but they cook well too). I myself sampled a dozen
different cider varieties, all growing wild, in Beaver Island,
Michigan.