Old 21-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Frank Miles

Default Tomato blight

In article ,
simy1 wrote:
"Angi" wrote in message news:B9HSa.108654$Ph3.14167@sccrnsc04...
My garden is located in Iowa and this year I had to move it into my yard in
a spot that was lawn for 30 years. Previously it was bordering my backyard
in a farmer's field that he didn't plant due to the utility easements buried
there which would have been damaged with his large equipment but was
suitable for garden use with his blessing.

In other words; "everything by the book". Years previous, I didn't use cans
around the plants and didn't cut off the limbs contacting the ground and
used a sprinkler on the plants so it wasn't surprising the blight always set
in!
I applied lime and 10-10-10 garden fertilizer and roto-tilled it into the
soil prior to planting any vegetables.
All good advice is welcome! Thanks

I am sure there are more experienced blight fighters here, but I
always mulch with wood chips under the tomatoes. That eliminates
splashing amongst other things (it also saves water, elminates weeds,
and provides small amounts of fertilization).

Actually wood chips can reduce the amount of available nitrogen, as
bacteria consume soil nitrogen along with the chips.

-frank