Old 21-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default How Much Maintenance?

BenignVanilla wrote:
When I went at my pond design, I purposely included concepts like a bottom
drain and a shallow VF to reduce my maintenance. I have A LOT of plants, and
do not intend to feed my fish, in the hopes that I can strike a balance of
plants and animals. So far, my first season, things are going well.

I often read in this group of people adding potash, salt, baking soda,
fertilizer tabs, etc. They test the water every 10 minutes, change water, do
this, do that.

I realize this is not a pass/fail, yes/no answer but how much is really
necessary? I think if my pond ever gets to the point where I must spend time
every day maintaining it, and not just sitting by it...I may fill it in.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

I do very little maintenance on my pond. I think once the
pond is established it will be easier, if the fish load
remains low. But it is always wise to keep an eye on the
ph, amonia and water level. I enjoy feeding my fish and
don't consider that part of the maintenance.

--
Bonnie
NJ