Old 21-07-2003, 10:25 PM
David Rance

Default Potato 'Fruit'

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, David W.E. Roberts wrote:

The fruit is like a tomato (as., indeed, they are closely related).

snip

At one time people were grafting cuttings from tomato plants onto the top of
potatoes to get two crops from the same planting.

I believe this was only experimental in a laboratory.

I have no idea what this did to the yield of the potatoes - I would have
thought there would be a major conflict between storing up food in the roots
and getting as much food as possible into the fruits.

It wasn't satisfactory.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |