Old 22-07-2003, 01:23 AM
Steve Coyle

Default Goats Are West's Latest Weed Whackers

Howdy folks,
By strange coincidence ( or cosmic machinations ) or I have too
much time on my hands, and am doing a quick study of African History
given the current events, I was reading Larry Gonick's "The Cartoon
History of the Universe III " last night, that covers the history of
Africa and lo and behold, there is a section on the devastation of the
top soil in North Western Africa.
According to Gonick, in 1047 there was a revolt in Maghreb (
Western North Africa ) against the Fatimid Caliph Al Mustan in Cairo
who had been in charge of political control of that area for the
Islamic empire. In response the Caliph sent two Arab tribes from Egypt
, the Hilal and Sulaim west to attempt to regain control. The tribes
were offered all the land they could graze in exchange for migrating
west. Over the last half of the eleventh century, the flocks destoyed
the grasses and desertification set in quickly.
Interesting stuff.

I must say, I enjoyed the tone of discovery in the article "Goats
are West's Latest Weed Whackers". I would hardly say 'latest' since
goats, and other four footed grazing animals have been whacking weeds
in the West for quite some time. Her in Texas folks shot each other
over the ability of some grazing animals to munch the green stuff.
Twenty years ago I had a good old boy friend who never mowed just
moved the stake tethering his goat, around his property.

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com