Old 22-07-2003, 03:46 AM
Salty Thumb

Default @#*%!^ mosquitos

Heidi wrote in :

Any good ideas out there for controlling mosquitos? We have not been
outside to enjoy our garden near as much as I would like b/c of those
tiny pests. Our yard is not conducive for bats, sparrows, or other
mosquito eating friends (trees too close together to offer a nice

flight
pattern). We do not have any standing water--no bird baths, etc..
Because we have pets, I am not keen on spraying insecticides.

I am wondering:

if I placed a pool of water to the side of the house, where we don't
congregate very often, and drop in one of those mosquito pellets into
the water, would the water attract and destroy the enemy? Or would
brining in standing water, only serve in the same way as those Japanese
Beetle traps, it would just attract more bugs to the yard.

Any other ideas???

Thanks in advance!
Heidi

As long as the water is stagnant (not moving) and there is something for
the mosquito larvae to eat (plant matter at the least) mommy mosquito and
her friends are going to find it. When I have buckets of rain water out,
there are never any mosquito larvae in the clear water, but usually
plenty where the water is dirty and/or have bits of plants in the water.

Have you thought about planting lemongrass? I don't know if it's a
mosquito control, but I had a couple of roots in a cut open milk jug once
and found several dead mosquitos in the puddle after it rained. I had
used Bt mosquito dunks the year before (though I don't know if those work
on adults) but I don't think they were ever in contact with the
lemongrass or jug.

- Salty