Old 22-07-2003, 03:53 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Tomato height/size caging/staking

Two of my three tomato plants are outgrowing their cage/stakes.

I have a indeterminate with a 4'+ above ground stake. The plant is
easily a foot taller than the stake and growing. Since I've got two
months till frost concerns I'm thinking it might get bigger.

If I anchor twine up above it (off the porch landing) and run the
twine down to the stake...would that be enough support for it? The
stake is secure (buried almost a foot).

For the determinate bush I had a 15" square, 32" high cage. I am
thrilled to say that it is two FEET taller than the cage with lots of
tomatoes growing. I kept on thinking it wasn't going to grow much
larger.

A side question...how the heck do you inspect these plants for bugs. I
can barely see inside them! And I bought cages with 8" spacing for my
big fat hands.

These cages are stackable and I have another. Should i try and fit the
second cage over? (with another's help) WIth determinates all the
fruit comes within a shorter amount of time, right? So... is it gonna
stop growing now? It is past the estimated harvest date but I expect
them late because of the wet&cold May and soaked June. THe biggest
plums are about half the size I expect them to be, but I still have
flowers just opening and new stems sprouting.

Thanks for any advice
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener