Old 22-07-2003, 03:58 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Sequoia Feedback asked

Brent: What are the key differences to look for in identifying or distinguishing
Sequoia sempervirens (Coast Redwood), Sequoiadendron giganteum (Giant Sequoia), and
Metasequoia glyptostrobides (Dawn Redwood) from each other?
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
At 06:38 PM 7/14/03 -0700, MartyWeiser wrote:
I am wondering if there is any difference in the treatment of Sequoia
sempervirens (Coast Redwood) and Sequoiadendron giganteum (Giant Sequoia) which is
what I think of as sequoia? I know that coast redwood and its near neighbor
Metasequoia glyptostrobides (Dawn Redwood) will both sprout as Marty has described -
often with several potential new leaders that are nearly parallel to the trunk.
Will giant sequoia behave in the same way?
=========
Evergreen Gardenworks wrote:
Marty
I'm not sure anyone responded to your post, so I will give you my brief
experience with Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum). The short answer is, I gave up
on it. The longer answer is that, for me at least, it is difficult
to repot and root prune. Also in our area, all the landscape trees are
contracting a blight that starts on the tips of the branches and works its
way back in, eventually killing the branch. I don't know if this matter
for bonsai, and possibly it is just a problem in hot areas at low
elevation, but they just don't thrive down here like they do in the
mountains. They start out beautifully, immensely calipered and tapered
trunks on stubby little trees, but they just slowly decline. They also
don't bud back nearly as well as Coast redwood, Sequoia sempervirens.
So, the bottom line is, give it a try, but I wouldn't invest too much in it.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++