Old 22-07-2003, 04:11 AM
adavisus

Default Hardy lilies - when will they flower

Flowering on waterlilies has some variables...
In a temperate area where there are cool summers, you can have a lot
of buds waiting for a rare hot day and you can get exceptional
'flurries' of numbers of buds flowering, while in a hot climate, the
buds can pop in dribs and drabs, ones and twoses...

Choice varieties might have say up to seven buds flowering at a time
in fertile conditions, frobelli pic attached to indicate that [Smile]

Coarse varieties might throw up one bud for every thirty leaves, with
a fair chance the odd bud is smothered by the foliage

Tropicals tend to start flowering at midsummer, I think they are
influenced by the day length, while the hardies just go nuts all
summer when the temperature suits them. Some flower late, helvola
seems to do that...

There is definitely a 'sequence' to the hardies, one of the days I'll
record what it is and the temperatures. Usually I'm fretting to
photograph them at their best than to document their botanical quirks,
doh!

Regards, Andy
Over 100 aquatic plants available!
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus
(photo albums of aquatic plants and descriptions)

John Bachman wrote in message . ..
Our pond is new this year, 1300 gallons. We have four 5-inch fish,
three hardy lilies, mucho water hyacinth and a couple of other plants.
We are in Southern NH and have enjoyed two hot, steamy weeks that made
the plants produce lots of new growth.

When can we expect the lilies to flower?

TIA

John