Old 22-07-2003, 10:22 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Butterfly Bush that doesn't work ???

"mbb" wrote in message
My young sons' school has an (almost) surrounded quadrangle garden, a

simple
lawned area with 3 or 4 mature buddlejas, a neglected pond, and some other
herbaceous beds.

I'm told that it's a pleasant area, but "the bushes don't encourage
butterflies". I know it's a subjective opinion, but might it be true? Are
there situations where the buddleja doesn't attract butterflies? Or is it
the local geography, perhaps?

regards, mbb

Could just be a general lack of butterflies.
We have had budleias of various kinds in the back garden for about 20 years
now.
15 years ago they would be covered in butterflies each summer.
In recent years, nary a one.
This year has been a good one for butterflies and moths, but still no
comparison to years back.
Two or three at a time on the budleia is an event.
I almost never see honey bees either.
Loads of bumble bees of different sizes and colours though.

Probably due to local agriculture; large fields, few hedgerows, loads of
spraying.

Cheers
Dave R