Old 22-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Brian Sandle

Default Paying to find non-GE wild corn?

Gordon Couger wrote:

"ddwyer" wrote in message
In article , Moosh:]
writes

Thanks Gordon, good point.
Not thet there's much more we can do about it than what we are doing.

If you want to convert a sheep or a bacteria to produce a bioactive
material such as a protein as a theraputic agent the way foreward is not
to breed or mutate but GM a species. I.e. create a self replicating
factory. GM food has the potential to generate unwanted materials that
mutation and breeding cannot.
Unwanted material in foodstuffs will be the rare hazard that we wont
recognise until too late. Sadly whole populations will consume; not just
the ill for whom the risk would ba acceptable.

Due to testing in GM food stuffs we are much less likely to get unintended
hazards in food stuffs than we are in in normally bred food stuffs.

To my knowledge they only test people with protein that they expect the GM
plant to make. The actual plant could have the engineered promoters
switching on other genes, causing troubles you would not be looking for.

When the tryptophan from GE sources killed some people it might not have
been discovered if the symptoms were similar to some other lethal
but fairly common disease.

I can
list several cases of food stuffs that case harm bred with conventional
methods an you can't list a single one with GM methods.

They get withdrawn if they cause trouble that is plain obvious.

If you are going to use arguments use ones that you don't loose at the onset
with proven facts.

He means the promoters switching on unexpected gene expression in some
conditions.