Old 22-07-2003, 03:32 PM
simy1

Default @#*%!^ mosquitos

Heidi wrote in message ...
Any good ideas out there for controlling mosquitos? We have not been
outside to enjoy our garden near as much as I would like b/c of those
tiny pests. Our yard is not conducive for bats, sparrows, or other
mosquito eating friends (trees too close together to offer a nice flight
pattern). We do not have any standing water--no bird baths, etc..
Because we have pets, I am not keen on spraying insecticides.

I am wondering:

if I placed a pool of water to the side of the house, where we don't
congregate very often, and drop in one of those mosquito pellets into
the water, would the water attract and destroy the enemy? Or would
brining in standing water, only serve in the same way as those Japanese
Beetle traps, it would just attract more bugs to the yard.

Any other ideas???

Thanks in advance!
Heidi

I just emptied my rain barrel, and there were mosquito larvae by the
tens of thousands (teaches me to be a laggard). I also mow quite high,
which helps them (but I have a decent looking lawn without any care).
I suppose a couple of minnows from the bait shop, placed in the
barrel, would take care of them ...
I may try it next year.