Old 22-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Lee Hall

Default Mid-season report from the Tomato Patch

Noydb wrote in message ...
Lee Hall wrote:

Okay, folks, while it's too hot to hang out in the garden, let's hear
the lowdown on what is happening in your tomato patch.

I have a very small garden. Planted 12 Mortgage Lifter seeds on April 19.
All 12 sprouted, 11 lived. Presently picking some cat-faced maters in the
3" range for green frying. Lots of fruit in the 1-2" range. VERY sturdy
vine ... I trellis so having a sturdy vine is a plus.

The seed packet said 2 1/2# to 4# tomatoes. Is this a reasonable thing to
hope for or just seed-packet hype?

Bill

Bill, your mileage may vary according to climate and the strain of
Mortgage Lifter you plant. Last year, I planted a Mortgage Lifter
from seeds acquired from Rachel's. It was the best producer I had,
weightwise. The first cluster of fruit weighed over 10 pounds and
almost pulled my trellis down. They were relatively late, though,
coming in about July 20 after being planted on April 4.
Just as I have problems making Brandywine produce this far south, you
may have the same problem making Mortgage Lifter produce that far
north. BTW, the plant produced fruits averaging about 24 ounces with
the biggest being 34. Due to our very hot summers it is hard to grow
anything much over 2 pounds. The only tomatoes I have grown that were
even in the ballpark with these were the Delicious variety. You might
want to have a look at: http://www.heirloomtomatoes.net/Varieties.htm
I have heard that the Estler's strain of Mortgage Lifter is the most
productive and it is the variety I will probably use next year.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B - Tennessee