Old 22-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Chris

Default Yushania

"Jennifer Stevenson" wrote in message ...
I obtained a small group of this bamboo last year and it has settled well
with lots of new culms, however I have just noticed that it is flowering,
does this mean that all of this group is now flowering and will die or could
it be a one off? If I leave the roots in will it recover? Hope someone can
help me with information.

I have heard of "stress" induced flowering, it may be the plant is
just overstressed. It does not necessarily mean your plant will
completely die. The seeds may not even be viable. Some varieties of
bamboo flower much more frequently with less negative effect, though I
am unfamiliar with the Yushania.

Make little nylon (like people wear) "baggies" around the flowers to
catch the seeds as the flowers "burst".

Good luck!

Chris