Old 22-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Dawn

Default why do my tomatoes lack flavor?

Thanks for the tips. I will look into getting a soil test kit this
fall and seeing if I need to add anything.

I'm getting the impression the tomato bed needs to be DRY while they
ripen. I'd been watering a little since the temps hit 90-ish because
all the plants fell over as soon at it got really hot and I was afraid
they'd dry up.

I started composting last year, but it wasn't ready for this spring
(thus the bagged manure) and at the moment I have volunteer cantelope
growing in the bin, so I'm hesitant to do anything much with it right
now.

FWIW, I took the dozen or so ripe tomatoes from yesterday and made
tomato bisque, and with some onion and fresh basil it tasted pretty
good.

Dawn