Old 22-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Roger Sheldon

Default Can ivy be planted in the summer?

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message r.com...
I would change a couple of things. First, I would put down a good 5+" of a
mixture of composted manure and peat or potting soil. I would then cover
the entire bed or area with weed block material. It's sold in rolls at HD
or Lowes (100' x 3' approx. $20). Use the pins to hold the material in
place. The pins are about $10 for 75+ pins. They sell them near the weed
block. The reason I recommend the weed block on top of the soil is that in
a very short time, you will have grass and weeds popping up with your ivy.
When you plant your ivy, use a knife to cut a "t" shape in the fabric and
plant into the soil below. After you've planted all the plants, mulch with
at least 3" of whatever you want to use (pine or hardwood mulch works good).

Won't the weed block material also hinder the spread of the ivy?

thanks

roger