Old 22-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Kay Easton

Default Another berry challenge

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article , Tim Tyler writes
However I'm close enough to reassure me about the edibility issue -
which was my main reason for enquiring in the first place.

That's not a completely reliable rule of thumb. IIRC, Physalis has both
edible and highly-toxic species. I also wouldn't be surprised if some
edible legumes or umbellifers had toxic close relatives.

Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
many obviously poisonous species, does it?

You're right to point out that relying on relationship to an edible
species isn't advisable, but it's a better rule of thumb in some
families than in others.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: