Old 22-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Pam

Default Why Water the Lawn Light and Frequent in Summer?

I'll second Buzz's opinion. That advise is contrary to what most turf
experts and horticulturists recommend. Frequent, shallow waterings
encourage surface rooting which is not conducive to enduring any periods
of drought. This is exactly the process that allows for deterioration of
the root system. A deep watering of at least one inch per week (applied
all at once or at most, in twice weekly increments) is best for the long
term health of your lawn. And keep that lawn mower on a high setting -
the taller blades will shade the roots and conserve soil moisture.

pam - gardengal

Buzz Lightyear wrote:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Jay Chan wrote:
I just come across the following PDF page in Internet:
http://www.espoma.com/pdf/garden/GI_4.pdf

It says that we should deep water the lawn. But it also says this:
"During the summer, much of the root system deteriorates.
Therefore, summer waterings should be light and frequent."

This is new to me. I am under the impression that we should always
water the lawn deep, not "light and frequent".

Can someone help me to understand that suggestion?

Thanks.

Jay Chan