Old 22-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Alexander Pensky

Default Newbie Question- English Garden

Suja wrote:

Danno wrote:

Question-- what's the best place to buy perennials?

Depends. If you're going for instant effect, and want large plants, I'd
suggest that you find a good local nursery near you that can supply you
with these plants.

can you do it on-line?

Absolutely. My best source is Bluestone Perennials
(www.bluestoneperennials.com). Their plants are tiny, but healthy, and
the price is just wonderful.

I second the recommendation for Bluestone... and I also say that for
quickly growing a large plant, a local nursery *may* give better results
if it is a *very* good nursery and grows its own plants. If it is a
typical nursery which buys from wholesalers -- don't bother. You can
pay Bluestone about $8 for three miniscule Boltonias in a little 3-pak,
or you can pay your nursery about $8 for one slightly larger Boltonia in
a gallon pot. By the beginning of the second year each of the little
baby ones will be bigger and healthier than the one from the nursery,
whose roots have had a couple of years to get accustomed to growing in a
gallon pot. Bluestone plants are tiny, but man, are they ready to grow!

Caveat: the closer you live to Bluestone, the happier you'll be with
your plants; if the plants get to you in 1-2 days they are absolutely
garden-fresh, but if you are on the West Coast and it's 4-5 days, they
can get a bit sad-looking in transit.

- Alex