Old 22-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Bonsai pests

My first bonsai tree is struggling with pests. It starts off fine, but
once a few leaves have developed, tiny white creatures appear on the
newest leaves. They are very small, and look like specks of dust until
I watch them closely and see them moving.

If they are really that small, they are probably spider mites. If
you mist the foliage, do you see tiny webs? That's a giveaway for
mites.

If they are somewhat larger and elongate (1-2 mm long), they may be thrips.

I have good luck with Schultz's pyrethrin spray for mite control. It
is very difficult to control thrips, however. Is the tree indoors?
Neither mites nor thrips are a big problem on outdoor trees, and your
elm will be happier outdoors for the summer anyway (starting in deep
shade and gradually being moved to full sun).

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++