Old 22-07-2003, 11:23 PM
animaux

Default First juciest, shlushing peach, mmmmm

On 21 Jul 2003 18:30:52 -0700, (Steve Coyle) wrote:

Howdy folks,
In regards to this message:

(Victor M. Martinez) wrote in message ...
I've seen some dwarf peaches in the nurseries, even bought one once. We planted
it in a pot but despite of efforts it died. We got it more for the "cute"
factor than for actually harvesting peaches from it.

I'll second the above. I tried one, out of a sense of
experimentation. No luck. No one who I have ever talked to that ever
bought a 'dwarf' peach tree has ever told me they had success with
them. I would be certainly happy to revise my opinion if I see
otherwise. I suspect like many plants that have been bred for dwarf
status something was lost along the way interms of hardiness and
production.

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

I think it's more a problem of finding a rootstock which would tolerate our heat
and drought, along with a variety which is feasible for grafting onto the dwarf
stock. It's two variables which can be a large problem. Too few chill hours
and we don't get fruit. Many of the trees which do well on grafts need 800
chill hours and we will never get that in this zone.