Old 23-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Warren

Default Why Water the Lawn Light and Frequent in Summer?

JNJ wrote:

Not sure there's much to understand -- it's completely contrary to all
convential wisdom on the subject and in short it just doesn't make

sense.
Perhaps in particularly hot climates the root system dies off

somewhat, but
that does not negate the value of continuing to water deeply -- deep
watering serves the same benefit regardless.

I've noticed that the landscaping service that handles many (if not
most) of the large apartment complexes in the Portland, OR sets up their
sprinkler systems to water for 15 minutes a night, every night. Of
course their incentive is to create a situation that requires the
complex to contract them to provide even more "service" to the lawn.
(They also mow weekly, even in the downpours in spring and fall, leaving
ruts and piles of slime that they then convince the complex to pay them
to fix. They have some of the management companies convinced that they
need to resod every five years or so.

(I think they share methods with the driveway contractor that's
convinced the complexes that spraying a thin layer of liquid asphalt on
the driveway each year will make it last longer.)

Perhaps this document is meant to be something crappy landscaping
services can point to for "proof" that their destructive methods are the
right way to do things, and continue to sell more services to the
complexes.

They also only apply a thin layer of bark mulch so the crews can spend
extra time pulling weeds each week. If I wasn't a basically honest
person, I'd say they've got one great self-sustaining business there --
but only as long as they can continue to convince the apartment
management companies that their methods are actually sound.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: