Old 23-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Bob Hobden

Default New Park.

"Jim W" wrote in message :

No, that wasn't what I meant. I don't know if it's just a leeds idea

or
national, but in each ward there is a group headed by a councillor

with
representatives from, eg, Civic Society, environmental groups,
neighbourhood watch, voluntary groups for the elderly, residents'
groups, etc. The idea is that the council is able to consult the
community on what the community wants the council to spend their money
on in their area.

Nothing around here like that, we have had a public consultation

exercise a
couple of years ago regarding the park and the new community centre. The
latter is now built, using up most of the money, and now attention turns
back to the park.

You must have some groups etc.. Think BTCV, mebbe local permaculture
groups? The Tree trust?.. Other conservation groups, Wildlife trust
etc.. WHat about hortic students and uni's etc. Theres a bit Hortic
college in Surry??.
( I Couldn't find a any specific LA21 information for your council area
but there are at least 2 in Surrey (Yes I KNOW its a huge county)..
THese aren't direct sources of funding but they are likley to KNOW about
partial funding or other sources within the Horticultural area?? BTCV
or uni/colleges might be sources of project contributions or input
labour tho;-)
//

Oh yes we have various groups but no overseeing group as Kay suggests, at
least not one I or anyone else around here has ever heard of.
We have Surrey Wildlife Trust who said "let us know when it is to be turned
into a park and we will remove all the Slow Worms to somewhere safe", don't
think I would expect much financial or practical help from that quarter.
Merrist Wood is the big Hort college you are thinking about, and they may be
able to provide some help re sources of funding although our Council are to
employ Landscapers to clear the land and grass seed it from what I hear so
it's not that area we want funding for, it's trees, flowers and equipment
including CCTV.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.