Old 23-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Butterfly Bush that doesn't work ???

Michael wrote in message ...
My young sons' school has an (almost) surrounded quadrangle garden, a

simple
lawned area with 3 or 4 mature buddlejas, a neglected pond, and some other
herbaceous beds.

I'm told that it's a pleasant area, but "the bushes don't encourage
butterflies". I know it's a subjective opinion, but might it be true? Are
there situations where the buddleja doesn't attract butterflies? Or is it
the local geography, perhaps?

It's funny you should write that because Sue and I were discussing only
yesterday that our neighbours large Buddleia on the allotment next to ours,
despite being in full flower, was devoid of any insect/butterfly life
whereas our own flowering Oregano/Marjoram/Apple Mint patch was alive with
them. Loads of butterflies especially Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns and some
tiny orange ones I don't know, and loads of bumblebees, hoverflies, etc.

Strange, has the Buddleia lost it's appeal?

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.