Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Can I move Rhododendrons in the Summer???

(Patty Winter) wrote:

I just got a couple of rhodies this spring. They're in half wine barrels
with a special rhododendron potting mixture. I'm in the SF Bay Area, and
they're on the north side of my house, so they only get direct sun in the
late afternoon. Should I continue watering them every day in hot weather,
or ease up a bit to reduce the risk of root rot? Since they aren't
established in their new homes yet, I don't want to underwater them.

Cut back on the water. Water thoroughly when you do water, but wait
until they show signs of stress before watering again. That is usually
some leaves wilting in the heat of the day. Don't water every day.
Soon you will found out how often you need to water. It may be every 3
or 4 days or once a week or even longer. It will be more often in hot
weather and much less in cool weather. Make sure there are drain holes
in the bottom. Otherwise they will drown.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman