Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Diane Mancino

Default Two questions from a rank beginner

Shea,
My instincts tell me we cant do wrong in the summer since the dends like a
good watering ( well draining medium of course). Normal weather you will
have your dry days and wet days. gradually move into a sunny spot on a dend-
they like light and feed 2x a month in the summer. Remember you can get a
sunburn on a cloudy day- the sun is there. Its like a summer break from all
those trips to the sink. I damaged a plant on a unusually hot day that I
should have shaded. I'd watch for the unusual- like hale and high winds.
bummer when a plant falls to the ground and gets broken

I've only been growing these for the past year myself, so I haven't seen the
annual cycle on my dends. it will be a real treat to see what I have
developed with a years worth of care. If anyone has taken a orchid out of
rainy weather it would be interesting to hear.

"Shea" wrote in message
om...
I've progressed to actually putting the Dendrobium outside. I introduced

it
to my other "orphan" - a mostly dead jade plant that Walmart was

practically
giving away. It is now in the best of health and growing like crazy.

They
seem to be getting along quite well, so I have high hopes.
The yellow leaf finally fell off the Phal. I'm trying to give it more
light. This is difficult lately since we've had stormy days nearly
constantly this summer. I guess the artificial light of indoors helps. I
would put it outside also, but I'm not sure if this would be a good move.
It is awfully hot.

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
I like the term "antelope type Dendrobium" At least on the cork mount

it
is
interesting to look at out of bloom. Put a few together for some wall

art
( maybe no one will count how many plants), I'll keep giving them care-

guess right now is the time to water away. It's nice to let the rain

showers
do my work.

I'm reading about moss- I have tons of it in my yard, I'm sure its full

of
bugs though and don't know if it would thrive in the house.

Diane
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Diane,

Burana kids are pretty hardy Dends. Important to know that the bare

canes
will not grow new leaves but may flower anyway; you'll get new canes
growing from the bottom (off the rhizome). Sometimes our *rescue*

plants
(oh, yes, I do it too!) need some time to recover before starting to

grow
again, and if everything else looks good that's probably what's

happening.
Lots of light and the usual Dend culture will pay off in the end.

I went to a sale about 8 months ago, a sad case where the plant owner

was
very ill and a mutual friend was selling the collection for him, and

took
pity on a $4 Dend that was near to death. It hasn't bloomed yet, but

it
has
new growth and will be okay. Patience!

Diana