Old 23-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Mary

Default No Hydrangeas Blooms This Year! :(

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
On 22 Jul 2003 10:15:26 -0700, (Mary) wrote:

(Beecrofter) wrote in message . com...
(Mary) wrote in message om...
For a few years I've had countless lovely large blooms on my 2
hydrangeas, and this year nothing! Just lush leaves. (No pruning was
done.) Did the unusually wet and snowy year in the Northeast affect
these plants? I had looked forward to drying them again

Thanks,
Mary

In CT the less hardy varieties had bud damage from the severe winter.
Some suffered botrytis during the wet spring and the buds turned brown and fell off.

Maybe that's what happened, but I never saw any buds forming. I
usually have full blooms by now (mid-July). Very sad indeed! I did
see others blooming while driving around, but now I'll have to look
for just leafy plants to see if I'm not alone.

thanks,
Mary

Mine did not bloom this year either. It doubled in size from last
year and it is now over 4-feet across and 3 feet high. I plan to
protect the plant by piling leaves on top of it before the winter cold
arrives. The blooming mechanism is on last year growth, so if that
freezes or is pruned there will be no flowering. It is a beautiful
lush green plant, even without flowers.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone (no offense)! Let's hope we fare
better next year. And yes, it is very lush on its own.

Mary