Old 23-07-2003, 02:03 AM
Steve Coyle

Default First juciest, shlushing peach, mmmmm

Howdy folks,
In regards to this snippet. from this thread.

I have more than one variable. Since I'm gardening from a wheelchair,
I want trees that are small enough that I can drape them with
bird-proof cloth to protect the fruit, and also so that I can get to
them when my wife isn't around. And, if my fruit trees grow higher
than 8-10 feet or so, they will block the light to my tomatoes.

You can 'espalier' (chsp?) a standard fruit tree. Pruning it
regularly and with some precision to roughly two dimensions along a
fence. Most examples you see in photos are going to be standard fence
heights five to six feet, but I would be curious just how low you
could have the fence for accessability. It seems doable to me.

For some pictures and a description of how to do the pruning, this
is a page from the Victory Garden TV site on doing an espalier of a
fruit tree at:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarde...w/pp/espalier/

I am interested if anyone does know of a variety of dwarf peach
that does well in a container here in Central Texas. Let me know, my
daughter is always wanting plants I cannot find, and I gotta keep her
happy.

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

Steve Coyle