Old 23-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Squirrels in my oak tree

"BT" wrote in
:

paghat, could you please indicate your source for the above
information you have shared with us. Or perhaps explain why grey
squirrels that live in a park next to houses with birdfeeding stations
filled with sunflower seeds and cracked corn still find the need to
eat tree buds every year?

seasonal dietary needs? I don't know about you, but if I were a dog, I'd get
tired of eating dried kibble everyday. or maybe the squirrels have learned to
stay way from humans and birdfeeders ... not worth the hassle.

a thick layer of fat (Banfield 1974; Woods 1980). This squirrel also
stockpiles a winter supply of food in underground storage piles called
middens. ", taken from
http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/risc/pubs/te...iscml20-07.htm

I always thought that a midden was a dung pile and not stock pile.

-- Salty