Old 23-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Beecrofter

Default Why Water the Lawn Light and Frequent in Summer?

(Jay Chan) wrote in message om...
I just come across the following PDF page in Internet:
http://www.espoma.com/pdf/garden/GI_4.pdf

It says that we should deep water the lawn. But it also says this:
"During the summer, much of the root system deteriorates.
Therefore, summer waterings should be light and frequent."

This is new to me. I am under the impression that we should always
water the lawn deep, not "light and frequent".

Can someone help me to understand that suggestion?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

In summer heat cool season grasses tend to go dormant for a month or
so and then green up again in the fall.
The frequent shallow waterings were to cool the lawn off.
Not reccomended these days.