Old 23-07-2003, 07:22 AM
guen

Default No Hydrangeas Blooms This Year! :(

For a few years I've had countless lovely large blooms on my 2
hydrangeas, and this year nothing!

We have two Hydragenas, a young Oak Leaf that was just planted into a whisky
barrel a few months ago and a lovely mophead that was here when we bought the
house alnost two years ago. Last year the mophead was full of blooms from
early in the year until very late into the fall (we are in So Cal.) But this
year we just finally got two blooms this past week or so. I think there might
be a few more coming up, but not nearly as striking a show as last year. We
were told by the homes former owner that she just cut it back every winter to
almost nothing, which she did for us when she moved two years ago. So we did
the same thing this year... but sigh, it's just not doing very well bloom wise.
The oak leaf has got quite a few lovely white blooms though. :-) I'm so happy
to see that one doing well as it was a very hard plant to locate for purchase.
We saw it in a magazine and just had to have it for it's lovely fall color.
The leaves are amazing in fall. Big and beautiful and full of color.
Rachel