Old 23-07-2003, 05:32 PM
simy1

Default @#*%!^ mosquitos

Salty Thumb wrote in message ...
(simy1) wrote in
om:

I just emptied my rain barrel, and there were mosquito larvae by the
tens of thousands (teaches me to be a laggard). I also mow quite high,
which helps them (but I have a decent looking lawn without any care).
I suppose a couple of minnows from the bait shop, placed in the
barrel, would take care of them ...
I may try it next year.

When I was a kid, I heard that applying a thin layer of oil to the surface
of the water would cause the mosquito larvae to suffocate. I haven't heard
the same recently, so maybe it's bad advice.

with all the rain, my barrel has overflowed many times over. Oil would go quickly.
I only keep it to water my mushroom piles.