Old 23-07-2003, 05:42 PM
animaux

Default First juciest, shlushing peach, mmmmm

On 22 Jul 2003 19:30:22 -0700, (Steve Coyle) wrote:

Two years ago, when I was doing some plant hunting John at the
nursery formally named 'Gardenville' told me he wouldn't sell the
dwarf peaches because they did not do well here.

No, it's not formally named "Gardenville" any more. It's formally named The
Natural Gardener.
www.naturalgardeneraustin.com

Malcolm Beck was "Gardenville" then I believe he sold the name to a company
which makes compost and mulch sold in bags under the name Native Texas Shredded
Hardwood, or some such thing.

The ones in the current garden are standards that are pruned to a smaller size. The
varieties are ones he sells in January and John always picks good
stuff. Speaking of mobility, the older and creakier I get the more I
enjoy my fifty or so, ten gallon plastic stock containers that I use
for my container garden . I am becoming less inclined to bend all the
way down to the dirt. Well bending isn't as much of a problem as
getting back up. With the soil level raised in the containers it saves
a lot of wear and tear on the back.

When I'm working with the kindergarden gardeners they find it really
amusing that when I get down to do some serious weeding at ground
level, I tend to stay there.

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

Obscure P.S. note: A couple of months ago we were talking about wood
from Africa in this forum. For the one or two people who were really
interested in this topic, I was doing a news search on current events
in Liberia and saw an article in the Christian Science Monitor on
interestingly enough the connection between the political situation
there and their timber industry.