Old 23-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Doug McLaren

Default Stop Wal-Mart From Building over the Aquifer!

In article ,
gologa wrote:

| No word on whether they will back off, probably not since even in CA where
| some towns have banned the Supercenters, Wal Mart's lawyers fight it with
| lawsuits and ballot box referendums to build anyway! in Spite of large
| opposition.

Personally, I'm looking forward to having a Super Wal-mart there.

As for building it over the aquifer, the aquifer is huge! If you
weren't aware of this --

http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/images/edwards.gif

even the `recharge zone' makes up a large part of central Texas. To
not allow Wal-Mart to build there just because of the aquifer seems a
bit silly, especially since it seems that everybody else is allowed to
build there (as long as they follow certain rules.)

And it seems that most of the people complaining have already built
there -- they built their houses there. Sounds hypocritical to me ...

Seems to me that it's just another example of NIMBY -- `not in my back
yard.' Or maybe they don't *really* mind that much, but since they
might be able to make Wal-Mart compensate them somehow, they're going
to push for that.

--
Doug McLaren,
"Just once, I'd like someone to call me 'Sir' without adding 'you're