Old 23-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Andrew Perrin

Default saffron crocus--anyone ever try growing it here?

Wow - good luck! My understanding is that extracting the threads from
the crocus is an extremely painstaking process, and that explains the
high price per ounce.

Note, though, that a little goes a long way - I cook with saffron a
lot and am still on a 1-oz box I bought 5 years ago.

However, the direct answer to your query is yes, it's growable. Check
he
http://www.hirts.com/cgi-local/catal...2,16,&item=433

or search google for saffron crocus bulb for more suppliers.

Cheers,
Andy

Heidi writes:

Hi all,

I love cooking w/ saffron, however it pains me to purchase the spice
in the grocery store. I am curious to try growing saffron crocus in
my yard for use in cooking. Has anyone ever tried this here? Know
any local nurseries that carry the bulbs?

Thanks!
Heidi

* andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu