Old 23-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Andy Spragg

Default Butterfly Bush that doesn't work ???

"David W.E. Roberts" pushed briefly to the front
of the queue on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:11:15 +0100, and nailed this to
the shed door:

^
^ "mbb" wrote in message
^ ...
^ My young sons' school has an (almost) surrounded quadrangle garden, a
^ simple
^ lawned area with 3 or 4 mature buddlejas, a neglected pond, and some other
^ herbaceous beds.
^
^ I'm told that it's a pleasant area, but "the bushes don't encourage
^ butterflies". I know it's a subjective opinion, but might it be true? Are
^ there situations where the buddleja doesn't attract butterflies? Or is it
^ the local geography, perhaps?
^
^ regards, mbb
^
^ Yet more evidence of the power of Usenet!
^ Complain about the lack of butterflies and the garden is suddenly full of
^ them.
^ Possibly due to an overcast humid day which is more insect friendly?
^
^ Just been checking on Red Admiral and Painted Lady and Peacock which have
^ appeared on our bushes today.

Yay, me too! Peacocks arrived a few days ago (I already posted about
that), yesterday it was the turn of the Painted Ladies about whose
continuing no-show I have also posted.

(snip)

^ P.S. there are a couple of small orange/brown thingies whizzing about but it
^ is windy today and they don't stay still long enough to identify.

Someone else mentioned small orangey-brown butterflies they didn't
recognise a day or two ago. Might even have been you (ICBA to go and
look again). My reaction then, and now, was Small Coppers or some
variety of Skipper? Or possibly something else depending on your value
of small, I suppose. I think the first person actually said tiny, in
which case my money is definitely on Small Coppers.

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."