Old 23-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Anne Lurie

Default saffron crocus--anyone ever try growing it here?

Heidi,

If you mean that the high price pains you in the grocery store, check the
Hispanic seasonings section -- I *think* that I saw "Mexican Saffron" (or
something like that) in packets that seemed much cheaper than the usual
price for a little bottle of saffron.

I'm not sure if the stuff is comparable, but it might be worth a try.

As for growing it, I think you need a lot of crocuses to get much usable
saffron.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Heidi" wrote in message
Hi all,

I love cooking w/ saffron, however it pains me to purchase the spice in
the grocery store. I am curious to try growing saffron crocus in my
yard for use in cooking. Has anyone ever tried this here? Know any
local nurseries that carry the bulbs?

Thanks!
Heidi