Old 23-07-2003, 11:12 PM
dave weil

Default More on Sevin and Japanese beetles

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:48:54 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

I hear ya, Dave! I'm almost (but not quite!!!!) disappointed that I've seen
fewer Japanese Beetles this year than I recall in the past (no traps this
year), because it was rather gratifying to see the little ba**ards fall down
after I sprayed them.

BTW, thanks for the warning about no more than 4 foliar applications per
season -- my bottle of Sevin has been in the garage long enough that the
instruction booklet on the back was long gone, so I had to go online to find
the darned dosage!

Do you see a residual effect between sprayings? Also, if you start
early in the season, do you just spot spray on the little buggers
themselves, instead of spraying the whole plant?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"dave weil" wrote in message
.. .
Well, after my first couple of applications of powdery Sevin, I got
relief for almost a week. Then, the JBs came back in swarms each time.
I finally decided to buy some concentrated Sevin liquid today (mainly
because I didn't like the idea of casting the power to the wind). I
sprayed liberally and saw an almost immediate effect (something I
never saw with Orthonex, Shiva's experience notwithstanding). It
really knocks them down right on the spot!

It says to do no more than 5 foliar applications per season, but they
should be gone for good in about 3 weeks, so I'm hoping that this will
do the trick.