Old 23-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Warren

Default Why Water the Lawn Light and Frequent in Summer?

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
The
research project at MSU applied 0.1 inch of water daily at about 1:00

PM. This
application serves a couple purposes: it cools the turf in the heat of

the day and
also applies just enough water to get it through. In several areas

water restrictions
would certainly prevent this type of irrigation scheme, if that's the

case consider
irrigating every second or third day with slightly higher amounts.

Not everybody lives in a state surrounded by huge, fresh water lakes.
One of the reasons more places don't have water restrictions is because
enough people avoid raising the relative humidity by spraying water in
the air at 1pm. There are plenty of places where if you sprinkle at 1pm
very little of the water will ever reach the ground.

I think I'll stick to a method that I know works rather than switch to a
method that might work, but wastes precious water. If I move to
Michigan, maybe I'll reconsider. But for most of us, their proposed
method is environmentally unfriendly at best, but more often it would be
downright irresponsible.

And we haven't even touched on how impractical this is for someone who
might not have time to water every day (or every other day). It won't
take much to completely kill a lawn with shallow roots. Talk about
high-maintenance, high risk, and only questionable benefit! I'll pass on
their goofy, impractical recommendation.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: