Old 23-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Butterfly Bush that doesn't work ???

"Andy wrote in message
^ P.S. there are a couple of small orange/brown thingies whizzing about but
it
^ is windy today and they don't stay still long enough to identify.

Someone else mentioned small orangey-brown butterflies they didn't
recognise a day or two ago. Might even have been you (ICBA to go and
look again). My reaction then, and now, was Small Coppers or some
variety of Skipper? Or possibly something else depending on your value
of small, I suppose. I think the first person actually said tiny, in
which case my money is definitely on Small Coppers.

As I've since said on another reply I now think those small orange ones we
saw a couple of days ago were Skippers, Essex or Small I know not which.
They were small and when they landed their two wings each side seemed
separate not as one like most butterflies. The Coppers are a bit bigger
according to my books and these were feeding on Marjoram/Origano which I
understand is a favoured food plant of Skippers.
There were some small blue butterflies around the same plants today and at
last I noticed some around our friends Buddleia, Small Tortoiseshells,
Peacocks, and Red Admirals amongst others.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.