Old 24-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Anne Lurie

Default More on Sevin and Japanese beetles

Dave,

When you say "residual effect" do you mean the effect on the JB, or the fact
that Sevin doesn't come off the foliage until a good hard rain? I confess
that I don't know the answer to the first part.

As for your second question, it's not an "either or" for me -- I spray JB
first, then the entire plant..... depending on my mood, I give the JB an
extra shot when I'm done! (Wow -- I guess it's a good thing I wasn't into
growing roses when I was young enough for PMS!!! "This one's for you and
the horse you rode in on!" Back then, I was too busy using Diazinon on
radishes, sigh.......)

Also, Dave, I misquoted you about the foliar applications; you said they
should be limited to 5, but I typed 4 in my post. I'm still trying to
figure out which is worst: not being able to A) type; B) read; or C) count

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:48:54 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

I hear ya, Dave! I'm almost (but not quite!!!!) disappointed that I've

seen
fewer Japanese Beetles this year than I recall in the past (no traps this
year), because it was rather gratifying to see the little ba**ards fall

down
after I sprayed them.

BTW, thanks for the warning about no more than 4 foliar applications per
season -- my bottle of Sevin has been in the garage long enough that

the
instruction booklet on the back was long gone, so I had to go online to

find
the darned dosage!

Do you see a residual effect between sprayings? Also, if you start
early in the season, do you just spot spray on the little buggers
themselves, instead of spraying the whole plant?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"dave weil" wrote in message
.. .
Well, after my first couple of applications of powdery Sevin, I got
relief for almost a week. Then, the JBs came back in swarms each time.
I finally decided to buy some concentrated Sevin liquid today (mainly
because I didn't like the idea of casting the power to the wind). I
sprayed liberally and saw an almost immediate effect (something I
never saw with Orthonex, Shiva's experience notwithstanding). It
really knocks them down right on the spot!

It says to do no more than 5 foliar applications per season, but they
should be gone for good in about 3 weeks, so I'm hoping that this will
do the trick.