Old 24-07-2003, 03:42 AM
DonKcR

Default Pond pictures and update

Chrissy, I'm in your boat so new that I do things by trial and error. But
there are alot of helpful people here and this site, so I'm sure you can get
lots of help. I haven't got any of your rain yet! Good Luck from Phoenix Kc
"Chrissy" wrote in message
Thanks so much!

I have added in some poly/cotton batting into the filter to help pick up
some of the dirt, but most of it has settled now and is reflecting off

from
the water. The pond levels for PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, etc. are looking

good.

I can't imagine having 107 to 118 temps here. It has been humid except

for
the past two weekends, it was actually and finally nice to work and finish
up most of the pond.

I read that on the boards about the gravel and it trapping dirt and fish
waste so that was another reason I wanted to get rid of it besides the

fact
that it brought so much dirt in with it, so I was thinking the marbles,

but
it may be a bad idea too huh? But I'm not sure what to put the plants in
when I add some more in, for dirt, or soil or whatever. Any ideas on what

could do for something not to slip on. I'm a klutz lol.

Chrissy

"DonKcR" wrote in message
Chrissy, Hi from Phoenix AZ. Looks like you have been a real busy

couple.
The pond looks real nice. They are allot of trouble at times but as a

new
pond person myself I can tell you that you will have allot of fun with

the
projects. I had the pea soup pond for a couple of weeks I was told to

keep
the filter good and clean and it soon clears up. As long as the water

test
good for the fish your ok. My pond cleared up then the nitrite level was
high still working on that but it is slowly getting better. My problem

was
that I purchased to many fish not knowing the limit for my pond. The

fish
are doing great and look healthy so as long as the water keeps getting
better were ok here. I wish you could send us some of your rain, I'd be
happy to send some sun. Last week we had a low of 107 and a high of 118.
Just a hint that someone told me not to put gravel or small rocks in the
pond they are hard to clean and the waste from the fish gets between

them
and that causes you future problems. Remember I'm new at this could be

wrong
but maybe a more expert pond owner will tell you more technical

information
on that. Good Luck Kc
"Chrissy" wrote in message

Dont know if some of you may remember me posting. I was one of the

ones
that had dirt in my water. Well we had to drain it out, got out all

the
rocks in the pond and set it back up again. In the meantime we

transferred
our Comets over to a holding tank and lost 3 of them due to the

excessive
heat in the house while getting the pond back in shape to put them

into
again. We had 11, lost one due to a fallen rock into the pond, and

lost
3
more in the tank. We now have 7 left and they are growing so big. We

will
be getting a few more Comets soon once the water clears up a bit, I'm
crossing fingers here.

Out of all the plants that we had in there from those small baskets

you
can
get at some pet stores, only the Hardy Lilies have grown. We have

about
8
or so lily pads, and our first blossom appeared today, of all days.

Its
murky here in Massachusetts today and stormy. It brightened up my day
though, as I was awaiting it to bloom :0)

After draining the pond by using the pump and a long hose attached to

it
we
set it back up after washing down the liner. Of course it poured

almost
the
whole week after we set it up again and more mud got in there before

we
could fully finish putting the rock border around the edges to keep

the
liner in place. We now have murky but its also looking pea soup green

as
well, which it was never doing before. So I'm happy even with the

Algae
bloom in the water, so I know at least its getting sunlight so to

speak.
have tried using the Python that I have for our tanks in the house but

its
not picking up the dirt, so I may have to get a wet/dry vac or

something.
was thinking about adding some of those marbles for aquariums to put

in
the
lower ends of the pond so if I need to get in there I dont slip on the
liner.

Anyways, I have added some pictures of it up on our website if any of

you
would like to take a look and let me know any ideas on what to put up

around
the taller sides of the pond along the top shelf for plants or

whatever.

Chrissy
http://www.thejoyals.net/pond.html