Old 24-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Henry

Default More on Sevin and Japanese beetles

dave weil wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 "Anne Lurie" wrote:

When you say "residual effect" do you mean the effect on the JB, or the fact
that Sevin doesn't come off the foliage until a good hard rain? I confess
that I don't know the answer to the first part.

I sort of mean, is it *just* a contact killer, or does it stick around
to kill them several days later when they decide to munch? I suspect I
know the answer to that based on your comment above.

The sevin that is left on the leaves will kill them if they eat it but
for the most part, it kills those that are present when sprayed. Also,
for me, anyway, they are mostly eating the buds as they start to open.
Johann Strauss, August Renoir, Linda Campbell and Pat Austin are opening
lots of new flowers every day now and they just crowd in and enjoy
themselves. So, every morning when I get up and every evening when I
get home I have been squashing beetles. They are also way up high on
Zepherine Drouhin but I need a step ladder to get to them. They don't
seem to be bothering the plants that are "between flushes" right now.
The rugosa seedlings and Mary Rose have a few. Graham Thomas and my
small New Dawn are free of them but that may just be a coincidence.

I had dusted late last week and that stayed around until last night when
we had a very hard rain (the first in almost 10 days, our longest dry
spell since I don't remember when!). It's raining again now. The dust
kept them off the leaves and off the flowers that were open when I put
it down but didn't help with the new flowers. I've filled a small
sprayer with a sevin solution and will do some selective spraying
starting tomorrow and see if that works any better.

Ironically, even though it wasn't supposed to rain until at least the
weekend, I'm looking at a downpour outside my window right now. So, I
might have to spray again in a day or two, although, maybe it doesn't
count toward the 5 foliar sprays because it was washed off within
hours of application.

Since I'll just be spraying directly on the buggers, I'm not going to
keep particularly close track of how many applications I'm putting on.
If I spray an entire plant (or even most of it) then perhaps I will.

My parent's neighbor uses a hemostat to squish them. I've gotten to the
point where I just use my bare hands (and then wash well). Anyway, it's
nice to go out and see lots of dead beetles on the ground around the roses.

--
Henry