Old 24-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] Sterilising pots?

As I'm preparing to move to New Zealand, I have to get my pots ready to
go. They have been power washed with pressure hose, but I also want to get
them sterilised before packing them. This is not a requirement from the
Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, but I hear through the "grapevine"
that if you do sterilise them and outline the procedures you've taken they
are less likely to want to fumigate the pots and charge an extra $100-$500
for fumigating on entry.

Sooo, my plan is to soak the pots in a solution of 1oz bleach per gallon of
water, for 10 minutes, then air dry. This is what I would do for mead and
beer brewing (though for brewing I'd rinse in a lots of clear water before
drying).

Thoughts?

Nicolas
http://www.bmee.net
"A community that excludes even one of its members is no community at all"
- Dan Wilkins

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++