Old 24-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Chet Hayes

Default Performance & Maintenance on Honda Harmony

I second those opinions. I have one too and it's a super machine. I
got a great deal on it at Home Depot about 3 years ago. I'm a pretty
critical guy and I can't find a thing I don't like about it.

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message news:ZTDTa.130429$Ph3.16053@sccrnsc04...
Own a Harmony (the original Harmony, not the cheapened-down Harmony II
series). I recommend it with no reservations.

To take your questions in order:

Are they relatively
easy to service at home for the normal gear head?

Not sure what you're looking for -- All I've ever done is change the oil and
sharpen the blades-- and this is as straighforward as any other mower I've
seen.

Do all Hondas use the same motors?

No idea, but I doubt it.

With regard to cutting, it's a mulcher type, and I wondered how good a
Honda is? Is their system a farce? Will I need to bag normally?

I wholeheartedly buy into the mulching concept -- it's great for your lawn
(nutrients stay put rather than being hauled to the dump) and much cheaper
and easier for you. And as mulching walk-behind's go-- nobody beats Honda
Harmony. This mower is designed for mulching from the ground-up-- a
specially designed deck and two stacked blades (at least on my model) make
for excellent results. Most other mulchers are baggers or side-discharge
mowers with a plug, no other modifications.

The only caveat-- you have to mow reasonably often -- if you like to see
your grass get up to 5" before you mow it back down to 2", then mulching is
not for you

I think it has the plastic deck and is self-propelled, but
don't know much more.

The plastic deck also is a great feature -- the dealer I bought it from hit
a sample hard with a dead-blow hammer and it just made a thud-- no damage at
all.

If you can pick this up at a sweet deal, definitely go for it. I paid
almost $700 for mine about 3 years ago. I hardly ever use it anymore since
we moved and I picked up a ZTR Deere tractor. But I can't part with my
Honda because I know nobody'd pay me what I"d want for it...

-Tim