Old 24-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Jonathan Sachs

Default Cross-country move with plants?

animaux wrote:

Unless these are very rare plants and/or very large and you've had them a very
long time, it is far less expensive to buy new ones when you arrive in Chicago.

Undoubtedly true but not relevant. All of them are either plants with
sentimental meaning to me, or plants that cannot be replaced because
they are not commercially grown.

Prepare yourself. It's freezing cold there!

I know. I grew up there. All of my gardening experience is from
California, though, so I'm not entirely sure what will be able to make
it outside. Plum trees? My research has yielded a definite "maybe"

If you tell what kind of plants and what type of pots I can help instruct you
since I did a lot of mail order from our garden center. It can and is done
regularly.

I'm not sure, because I have done the triage yet. Definitely a
Christmas cactus in a pot about 8" across. Probably one or two other
cacti and/or succulents. And the plum trees.

So, are these rare specimens?

The plum tree is rare, actually, unique. It's a cutting from a tree in
my yard which is probably a hybrid between a wild plum a and Santa
Rosa plum or something similar. The plums are a very deep purple
color, a little larger than grapes, moderately sweet, and have the
most intense plum flavor I've ever encountered. I strongly want to
preserve this.

Actually, if someone is interested in growing one of these trees and
caring for it, I have four rooted cuttings, and will be giving away
two or three of them. The only condition is that I'd want to keep in
touch, and be able to get a cutting from the cutting, if the one I
keep should not survive.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.