Old 24-07-2003, 06:43 AM
anton

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

Mary Fisher wrote in message
.. .

As for that Monty Don - he has gone well down in my estimation,

positively
enthusing about the demise of chemicals. He may have the time to hand

pick
weeds and insects and go organic, but I'm sure that i have not.

I've never heard of him but I couldn't fault anything he said.

I understood that he didn't think that most pests were enough of a problem
to put poisons in the envoronment.

I agree.

That's not quite making the situation clear, though, is it? He
and you think that 'pests are not enough of a problem to put poisons into
the environment'. So don't do it yourselves.
These measures however, mean _everybody_ is banned from
doing so, regardless of whether they agree or not. That's
a horse of a different colour. Clearly some chemicals have
been rightly banned- I'm glad that lead arsenate is no longer used as an
apple spray, for instance- but knee-jerk welcoming
any ban of any chemicals is just- a knee-jerk.

Furthermore, this hysterical use of 'poisons' doesn't produce
clear thinking. There's been a recent urg thread on tipping
'poisons' on compost heaps, and the 50ft high object in the
corner of my garden will rain 'poisons' over a large area in
a few months time. Urine and oak leaves.

--
Anton