Old 24-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Jan Flora

Default why do my tomatoes lack flavor?

In article ,
(FarmerDill) wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I will look into getting a soil test kit this
fall and seeing if I need to add anything.

Watch out for the home soil tests kits. Many of them are VERY unreliable.
Virtually all state agricultural colleges laboratory testing through local ag
extention agents (county agents). Used to be free but many now charge a

nominal
fee

In Alaska, it's $20. I'll bet it's cheaper out there in the small states.
Oh, up here,
if we ask the state lab to email or mail the soil test results to our
extension agent
and to us, our agent will interpret the results for us and tell us what
our soil needs.
(He gets real specific, like, "apply 1 ton of 20-20-20-5 per acre" on our
hay meadows.)
I've never had my home garden soil tested. I know the pH. I just add
composted cow poop
by the truckload and things grow okay.

When we have hay or grain tested for protein, TDN's, etc., they'll do the
same thing
with our cow guy at CES. Our taxes pay for the Cooperative Extension
Service. It's
one of the few state or federal agencies that I can find no fault with.

NACSO sells good quality home soil test kits. They're online.

Jan